Monday, June 23, 2008

Suryanamaskars

I was taught Suryanamaskars when I was a kid. I never liked it. I was told that doing it regularly is beneficial in the long term, but I never understood what long term is. But I did start practicing it (6 reps each day) since around 3-4 years back and have now appreciated its significance. No joint/back/neck pain whatsoever. Now I've ramped it up to 12 reps (as it should be classically!) and am feeling the effect. The entire body feels toned.
I feel one of the main reasons people start exercise and discontinue it soon is because they have to go out of their schedule or routine to accommodate it. Like going to a gym to do exercise is taking time out and traveling. This hampers the routine and results in discontinuity. So it is really important to merge the exercise routine in your daily chores. Its very easy to do it with Suryanamaskars. 12 Suryanamaskars take not more than 10 minutes and can be done just before or after you take a bath on bare flooring.